Sunday, March 5, 2017

Conventions Are Kinda Cool

Mood: Focused

Hey there! Before I begin planning out my documentary idea in depth (I will discuss this more in my next post - ooooh, the suspense), I want to talk about some technical things that I have been looking into. 

I have begun to compile a list of typical documentary conventions that I will most likely utilize for my documentary. In class, we viewed great documentaries such as Meru and Cartel Land that have been helpful in understanding such conventions. My list so far is from what I have learned in class and my own observations from watching documentaries, and it consists of the following notes:

  • Narrative format
  • Interviews progress story
  • Archived footage
  • Biased/Established POV
  • Hand held camera = realism
Technical Conventions
  • Crosscutting/parallel editing
  • Lighting techniques to create tone/realism/establish POV
  • Non-diegetic sound (i.e. voiceover)
  • Sound effects (to create realism)
  • Selective editing to achieve purpose
Other Conventions (more contemporary)
  • Re-enactments
  • Sway opinion, add visual elements
  • Montage
  • Graphics-Infographics
  • Animated Sequences
  • Accepted as part of the storytelling realm
  • Music – to create tone or develop POV
So far, I am thinking about using graphics and more contemporary conventions to progress the narrative for my documentary, but I will decide on how I want to tell the story based off of the idea that my partner and I agree on. I am not exactly sure of what I want yet, but I do know that I want the documentary to be captivating and interesting to the general population, the same way that the creators of Meru were able to tell a story about mountain climbing that enthralled me. 

Overall, I am excited to see how my technical skills have developed throughout this year, and I hope to create a great product that can be enjoyed by many.


See ya soon (with my fun idea brainstorming),

Chey :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment