Sunday, March 26, 2017

More Planning!


Mood: Bouncy 

Hey guys, I'm excited to share a little more information about the planning process of our doc!! As of now, we are planning to film on a blank wall in Kass's room, probably in dim lighting so that the focus is on the subjects. Here is a breakdown of our plans:

Intro: 
First of all, I was inspired by this scene from One Tree Hill (a guilty pleasure, what can I say). In it, this character, Brooke Davis, is faced with all of her insecurities due to what people say about her. I'm looking to replicate this type of scene with my doc, of what people often say about Gen Z. I was talking to a friend of mine about this idea and about how I wasn't sure where to get a projector to use for it, and she actually has one; therefore, this idea is actually feasible whooo!!! This scene would be part of the introduction, and it would be the start of every episode. As we outlined the intro, we came up with the basic order and a few relevant details to how the intro would progress:

1. Start with projector shot - use 5 subjects, same mid-shot and composition; 3 second shots? 13 possible subjects to choose from
2. Fade to black transition
3. Black background - "they call us" audio begins, use 3 subjects, switch between subjects throughout audio. Subjects never fully facing camera - look down/to the side
4. SHIFT - abrupt black screen or sound cut with audio "but they're wrong" said by all subjects - can use faster paced music to intensify the piece. Use of empowering "we are..." audio. Subjects look fiercely into the camera, keeping their heads and chins up to look proud and strong. 

Content:
We are hoping to have the intro at about a minute, give or take, so that would leave us about 4 minutes of content. Kass and I are working hard to figure out how to make this portion of the doc as interesting as possible. I love to write, so I want the script for the narrator to be interesting and engaging, and add to the visuals. Because this type of doc is so different from anything that I've ever produced, I'm having a hard time with figuring out how to plan it - or what I should even include. I went with this idea to challenge myself, and I know that I just have to keep thinking and researching, or even start filming at this point to get a sense of how different shots look together. Kass and I have blocked out a chunk of time this weekend to film with some of our *possible* subjects (we are still checking schedules). We want to experiment and play around with filming, and we are going to have them stick around for quite a few hours to get some of that done. We are hoping for the best, and we are going to make it work.

This post got a bit lengthy oops, hope you enjoy it!!

Chey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment