Monday, March 6, 2017

Inspirations!


Mood: Excited


Hi! As I said in my last post, my partner and I have selected the documentary package for our final project, and I couldn't be more enthusiastic about putting it all together. As of late, I've been extremely interested in documentaries and real-life stories, especially those related to feminist issues. Therefore, I've been watching a good number of them, and I think viewing a wide range of documentaries will help me to develop a good product.
These two documentaries, for example, are about sexual assault on US college campuses (The Hunting Ground) and the representation of women in relation to gender roles (Miss Representation). Both of them have led me to the documentary package, and I am interested in modeling mine after the same general theme of feminism.

The Hunting Ground utilized graphics to add in information about sexual assault, including statistics and places where it is rampant. It also tracked several subjects who have been victims of sexual assault who tell their stories, as well as advocates for programs to minimize the issue and help support victims. The stories were progressed through indirect interviews.

I have been looking into different ways to pursue the wide topic of feminism and, with growing social movements among America's youth, I've thought about ways to capture it. I'm thinking that teenage activism may be the best route for my partner (Kass) and I to take, but we may have to broaden it to activism in relation to America's changing political sphere. This change would need to be implemented if we cannot gather enough interviews/footage involving teenagers. Kass and I will be brainstorming in the next few days to come up with a way to make this idea work.

I'll update soon!
Chey :)



"Documentary screening to call attention to sexual assault prevention and education policies." New Paltz, The State University of New York, 20 Apr. 2015, sites.newpaltz.edu/news/2015/04/documentary-screening-to-call-attention-to-sexual-assault-prevention-and-education-policies/. Accessed 6 Mar. 2017.

"Miss Representation." Wikipedia, 12 Dec. 2016, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Representation. Accessed 6 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment