Thursday, March 30, 2017

Peer Feedback

Mood: Persevering

Hii! It was such a crazy day yesterday that it was hard to find time to churn out this post! Yesterday in class, we had group meetings with our peers where we run our ideas by them and hope for some good feedback. I met with two of my classmates, Asher and Catalina, and I explained that I was creating a poetic documentary with the purpose of reconstructing the negative narrative that is associated with teenagers. They loved the overall idea of the doc, and the intro that Kass and I had planned. Asher suggested that instead of having all of our subjects collectively say "but they're wrong," we should cut all background noise and have one voice say it to make it more powerful and impactful. I think that's a good idea for change, as it will make it less cheesy. In Kass's group, she asked about our title (which completely slipped my mind), and they really liked "We Are Not Who You Think We Are," so I think our title is set!


I also started working on general topics for the script, but I still feel a bit stuck. When I write, especially when it's about really personal stuff, I often have to sit somewhere quiet, alone with my thoughts, and just start writing whatever comes to mind. I think that's what I'l have to do to come up with some useable content for this doc. 

In Amnesia (that poetic doc that I really liked), the narration begins with:

"I'm full of old and new sights. I'm overwhelmed, not repulsed though, just affected. Vivid sensations..." 

I noticed that the narration is slow-paced and that the writing is more abstract than concrete; it is full of descriptions that allow viewers to figure out what is being discussed, rather than blatantly stating it. I think it will be challenging for me to write in this manner, but, in my opinion, it will better suit our doc to do the script this way. I really want to ensure that I address some traits such as responsibility, compassion, empathy, intelligence, and drive in the doc, so I'm keeping that in mind as I write as well.

See ya later!
Chey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment